November 2014
My doctor was able to get me an appointment with a dermatologist the following day. I was grateful because the bumps were showing no mercy like soldiers trying to push through enemy lines. My neck, groin and calves, the back of my hands, and tops of my feet were no longer spot free.
My new dermatologist told me it was not PR. This is the first time I had ever heard the word PLEVA. She said I had an very uncommon, non-contagious, skin disease call pityriasis lichenoides et varioliformis acuta or PLEVA. To confirm her diagnosis she did a biopsy. There are theories around what causes PLEVA, but it has no known cause and no known cure.
I Googled the internet for data on PLEVA. Information was very limited and some medical websites even contradicted each others information. I found the best sources of information to be personal accounts through forums and Blogger. I pretty much decided right then to document my experience and hopefully help add some knowledge to the existing PLEVA database.
I am still waiting on the results of my biopsy, but I will report back once I have the results. I will post photos of my skin shortly. It isn't very pretty.
No comments:
Post a Comment